The 2016 Junior Player Council presented the Junior Tennis Awards recently at Barnes Tennis Center. The banquet hosted a fun 1970’s theme for approximately 100 with outstanding festivities and fare. Awards were presented to many deserving youth and adult tennis players for their 2015 achievements, including Players of the Year, Most Improved and many Sportsmanship awards.
Sam Hum served as emcee, with support from Adult Advisors Eva Hum and Lori Faierman. Current Junior Player Council members who planned and orchestrated the evening included Ryan Rafferty, Nicole Mossmer, Julia Ronney, Cameron Mofid, Will Molenjamp, Nicole Mossmer, Jennifer Kerr, Chloe Kuo, Alec Manriquez, Matthew Moses, Alexa Meyer, Riley Vickers, Reina Chu, Jack Hogan and Sam Hum. They organized and facilitated the wonderful ceremony attended by approximately 100 people.
The Service to Tennis Award recipients were:
- Judy Inskeep – The Olive R. Pierce Award for outstanding contribution to the welfare and development of tennis in San Diego. Olive R. Pierce was the wife of Jonathan Pierce, San Diego Tennis Patrons President from 1967 to 1969.
- Sam Hum – The Bill Dudash Memorial Award for outstanding service to tennis by a boy or girl. Bill Dudash was a San Diego umpire who enjoyed working with junior players.
- Ivan Thamma- Sophie Custado Sportsmanship Award for dedication, participation and devotion to tennis. Sophie Custado is the grandmother of the Redondo family, who devoted many hours to junior tennis.
- Elizabeth Goldsmith and Ryan Hahn – Southwest Trophy Sportsmanship Award presented to a 14-and-under boy and girl.
- Tasia Mochernak – Margaret Weckerly Sportsmanship Award for a 16-or 18-and-under girl. Margaret Weckerly and her family have been long-standing supporters of junior tennis in San Diego.
- Nikita Pereverzin– Roland Brock Sportsmanship Award presented to a 16-or 18-and-under boy. Roland Brock was one of the founders of the San Diego Tennis Patrons.
- Jennifer Kerr- Bob Carrothers Memorial Trophy for outstanding sportsmanship presented to a high school senior at the Harper Ink Tournament. Bob Carrothers was a junior p layer in the 1930’s and 1940’s in San Diego and well-known for his outstanding sportsmanship.
- Hudson Rivera and Bianca Wong – Jean Kremm Sportsmanship Award presented by the Molden Family to a boy and girl 12-and-under who displayed outstanding sportsmanship. Jean Kremm was YTSD tournament director from 1975 to 1998.
Wilbur Folsom Award for Most Improved Players:
- 18s- Billy Rowe and Gillian Parker
- 16s- Ryan Dehmoubed and Julia Haynes
- 14s- Matthew Sah and Sophie Raiszadeh
Junior Players of the Year:
- 18s- Taylor Fritz and Jessica Failla
- 16s Ryan Seggerman and Nicole Mossmer
- 14s- Siem Woldeab and Amy Huang
- Sarahi Nunez Loauza– YTSD Sportsmanship Award presented for outstanding sportsmanship displayed by an After School Tennis Participant.
- Luc Hosy and Themla Sepulveda – Outstanding Role Models for Youth Tennis San Diego.
- Timothy Sah- Outstanding Role Model Awards YTSD Special Achievement Award presented to recognize special achievement in junior tennis.
The After School Tennis Award recipients were:
- Tais Vasquez Lopez- Chabot Family Leadership Award presented for outstanding sportsmanship by a girl in the After School Tennis Program. Kathy Chabot Willette is a former YTSD President and founded the After School Tennis Program.
- Noah Engels- Angel Lopez Sportsmanship Award presented to an outstanding boy in the After School Tennis Program.
- Jonathon Reynolds and Ileana Cardenas– Belinsky Family Sportsmanship Award presented for outstanding sportsmanship displayed by a boy and a girl in the After School Tennis Program in the South Bay region.
The Junior Player Council is a volunteer service group that also assists with running local tournaments, the Barnes Halloween Carnival, making care packages for the homeless and donating gently used clothing to St. Vincent de Paul Villages.
To download the Barnes Tennis Center Newsletter, go to http://media.wix.com/ugd/b48411_e26fffcbd9b94a9aac538700659d80e3.pdf, and for the YTSD Junior Tennis Yearbook go to http://media.wix.com/ugd/b48411_fa47bd73687a46c1a0b16e7402048f51.pdf. For more info regarding Youth Tennis San Diego and Barnes Tennis Center go to http://www.barnestenniscenter.com/ or call (619) 221-9000.
Special thanks to Barnes Tennis Center and Youth Tennis San Diego for contributing to this article.